Durga Puja is the biggest and most widely celebrated festival in West Bengal. As the saying goes, “You can take a Bengali out of Bengal, but you can not take Bengal out of a Bengali.” Bengalis staying at their home or far from home always plan ahead to be part of this 5 days long ritual. They find ultra level of fun in roaming around the city with friends and family that too while night; and when you are talking about roaming around that can not be done with an empty stomach. Bengalis being the other name of foodie, they always knows the tricks and tips to find good food. During Durgapuja Bengalis keep their diet chart aside; and keep a strip of Gelusil(A famous antacid tablet) handy.
This post is dedicated to those people who have already planned for their trip to Kolkata during Durgapuja. You should try Kolkata’s famous Kathi Roll, Chop, Cutlet, Biryani among the long list during your visit. Also keep Kolkata’s famous Mishti Doi (Sweet Curd) and Roshogolla (Rasgulla) in your to-do list. During your night-out you should not waste your time whole having dinner at a well decorated AC dine out. You should try Kolkata’s famous street foods and fast food junctions. We have listed out the famous shops in Kolkata along with their location, so that it will be easy for our readers to find out the shops, specially for those people who are visiting Kolkata for the first time. Also, at the bottom of the post we have shared the photos of most of the items with name.
Fast food junctions you should visit in Kolkata:
- Chicken Kathi Roll at Hot Kati Roll, Park Street
- Kathi Roll and Boti Kebab at Nizam, New Market [***BEST in market***]
- Brain Chop (Cutlet), Brain Soup, Fish Fry and Kabiraji at Mitra Kafe, near Shobhabazar Metro Station
- Prawn Cutlet, Chicken Stew at Allen Kitchen, Bidon Street, Shobhabazar
- Fish Fry, Mutton Cutlet at Chacha’s Hotel, Bidhan Soroni
- Braised Cutlet, Mutton Pantharas at Mamu’s Hotel, Shyambazar. Opposite to Manindra Chandra College
- Mutton Chop, Liver Kosha (Spicy curry) at Niranjan Agar, Near Girish Park Metro Station
- Tea, Chop (Cutlet) at Radu babu’s shop, near Lake market (South Kolkata) and Hedua (North Kolkata)
- Kobiraji, Cutlet at Malancha, opposite to Hatibagan Town School.
- Kochuri (Poori Sabji) at Putiram, College street.
- Luchi, Kochuri (Poori) and Cholar Dal (Lentil Soup, Chana Dal) at Shree Hori Sweets, Bhawanipore
- Telebhaja (Fries like Brinjal, Veggies) and Kochuri (Poori) at Potla’s Shop, Bagbazar.
- Momo, Phuchka, Churmur at Laal Atta near Garia Foot over bridge.
- Momo, Pork Shapta at Sikkim House, Salt Lake.
- Fish Chop, Fish Orly, Mutton Keema Stuffed Mughlai Paratha at Aponjon, Kalighat.
- Mughlai Paratha at Das Cabin, Gariahat.
- Pudding, Chicken Stew, Cutlet, Fish Fry at Cafe, Hazra Crossing
- Kochuri (poori), Cholar Dal (Chana dal) at Nandalal, Maniktala.
- Beef Halim Near Fancy market, Khiddirpur
- Peyare Kebab, Afghani Kebab at Delhi 6, Zakaria Street
- Beef Malai Kebab at Dilshad, Zakaria Street
- Sutli Kebab at Adam’s, Zakaria Street
- Beef Chanp at Bombay Hotel, Zakaria Street
- Momo at Tripti, Shyambazar
- Litti Chokha at Bhootnath, Ahiritola
- Paobhaji, chats at Chowrasia, Near City Center
- Dhoka Bhaja (Fried Lentil Cutlet), Soybean Chop (cutlet) at Jihobar Jol, near Dhakuria Station
- Chicken Rolls at Kusums, Park Street
- Vegetable Chop (Cutlet) at Kalika Sweet, College Sqaue
Where to have Biryani and Mughlai dishes during your night out:
- Mutton Biryani, Chicken or Mutton Chanp at Royal, Park Circus
- Kachchi Biryani, Galouti Kebab, Chicken Chanp at India Restaurant, Khiddirpore.
- Mutton Special Biryani, Mutton Tikka, Mutton Stew, Firni, Halim at New Alia, Dharmatala
- Chello Kebab at Peter Cat, Park Street
- Rumali Roti, Chicken Bharta, Chicken/ Mutton Stew at Chitto Da’s Shop, Deckers Lane
- Biryani at Oudh, Salt Lake
- Beef Biryani and Malai (Cream) at Zam Zam , Ripon street
- Biryani at Shiraz, Park Circus
- Chicken Rezala at Sabir’s, Chandni chowk
- Mutton Biryani, Malai Kebab at Haji’s, Dumdum
- Beef Steak at Olly Pub, Park Street*
- Biryani and Tandoori at Kareem’s, Sector V, Salt Lake
- Mutton Rosh, Chicken Sizi at Kabul, Park Circus
- Nihari Gosht, Haleem at Sufia, Zakaria Street
- Chicken Chatpata at Aminia, Dharmatala
Restaurants to have Bengali food during Durga Puja
- Bengali Buffet at 6 Ballygunge Place, Salt Lake or Ballygunge
- Daab Chingri (Prawn in Coconut, a special Bengali cuisine) at Charnok City, Salt Lake
- Kochu pata bata Chingri (Prawn with Taro Root leaf paste) at Kasturi, Ballygunge
- Fusion Foods like Gondhoraj Jolep, Baked Crab, Kolmi Greens at Bohemian, Ballygunge
- Dajaj Charmoula, Beer Can Tempura Fish, Jack Daniel Moushe at Spice Kraft, Ballygunge
- Mutton Kosha and Parota at Rupa, Shyambazar
Must visit Chinese Restaurants in Kolkata
- Nomnom, Saltlake
- Flavours of China
- Kafulok, China town
- Tung Naam, Teriti Bazaar
Most Famous shops to have Roshogolla (Rasgulla) and other sweets in Kolkata
- Daab Shorbot (Coconut Sarbet) at Paramount, College Street
- Sondesh (Cake made of Cottege Cheese) and other different sweets at Nokur’s , Putiraam, Balarm Mullick, Ganguram
- Roshogolla at Nabin Dash, Bagbazar [Birthplace of Roshogolla]
- Babu Sondesh at Sen Mohashoi, Phoriapukur
- Roshogolla, Modhupokko at Chittaranjan, Bhavatarini at Shyambazar Street
- Mishti Doi (Sweet Curd) at Amrito, Fariapukur
- Cakes at Nahum’s, New Market
- Sondesh at Bhim Nag, Bowbazar
- Roshogolla at K C Das, Esplanade
- Cadbury Sondesh at Gupta Sweets
- Nolen Gur (Jaggery) Ice Cream at Bhojohori Manna
- Sitabhog, Singara (Samosa) at Deshbondhu Mistanno Bhandar, Burrabazar
- Mishti Doi and Sorbhaja at Agamoni, Motijhil
- Faluda at New Market, Tipu Sultan Masjid
- Mango Lassi, Deckers Lane
- Muskat Halwa at Haji Liaqat, Zakaria Street
- Halwa and Gulab Jamun at Haji Alauddin, Zakaria Street
- Kulfi at Rally’s, Indramahal New market
- Pudding at Hazra Cafe, Hazra
- Lassi and Sweet Paan at Kalpataru, College Street
Hope you will enjoy every moment of your stay in Kolkata during Durgapuja. Enjoy the street food and keep the street clean. Let us know your favoutrite restaurant in Kolkata in the comment section. Share your thoughts about this post and let us know if we have missed some names.
Bonus: How these popular food items in Kolkata look like